Wondering why you cannot finish one goal? Being distracted by new ideas or new trends? What you’re experiencing is Shiny Object Syndrome.
It is when people keep chasing something new. It may be a new concept, new goal or new trend. It seems to be something worth focusing on but these are the ultimate distraction. You’re constantly drawn on new targets instead of focussing on the original goal. You’re jumping from one project to another thinking that it is something bigger and better.
Here are the outcomes when you are constantly distracted:
- You don’t achieve your goals You’re always on to something new, rather than completing your current plans. None of your goals will be achieved.
- You lose time, money, energy, and effort Jumping from one goal to another without achieving anything makes you lose your time, money, and effort.
- You become a jack of all trades, master of none You spend your time chasing new goals, new ideas, learning new things all the time rather than spending enough time on becoming good at something.
- You create confusion People around you will feel disoriented. They will lose focus on what is their purpose.
So, how to stay focused and stop getting distracted?
- Clear on your goals
Get clear on exactly what you want to achieve. The more specific you are on your goal, the more you will stand firm against a random new idea that flashes by.
- Develop commitment
It’s important to develop a commitment to yourself. Invest yourself fully if you want to succeed. Do not just involve yourself but be committed enough.
- Get more accountability
Accountability is taking ownership of results. Get more accountability and focus. Focus on one thing until you can master it. Working with an experienced accountability coach can help you stop chasing bright shiny objects and stay focused on your goals.
- Manage the source of distraction
Evaluate your social media news feeds, email subscriptions or group membership. Remove those sources that disrupt your focus due to new offerings, new products or new ideas. Get information from sources that can help you stay focused and help you achieve your goals.
I hope you stay focused and overcome that shiny object.